[Fontconfig] ruleset description

Akira TAGOH akira at tagoh.org
Mon Mar 10 00:32:43 PDT 2014

On Sat, Mar 8, 2014 at 3:37 AM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> wrote:
>> * Update all of ruleset to add a description
>>   think of adding <description> element under <fontconfig>
>
> Works for me.  Though, this will now force people to split config into files
> to be able to describe them.  Some type of grouping in a file would be a good
> idea perhaps?

good point. I didn't worry about it too muc though, indeed sounds good
to me. maybe good to extend <include> to load a file instead of files
in the certain directory? or want to add new element for that?

>> * translation?
>>   not sure what is the best way yet though, embed all of languages
>> into the xml like <description lang="blah">?
>
> Would be really bad for app startup time.  Also, I don't think we want to
> maintain those.  Figure out what the Desktop files are doing.  I think they
> used to have them all in the XML, but there was work on moving them to gettext
> domains.  Eg, an attribute in the description or fontconfig element would have
> gettext domain, and app will use that.

Didn't know that. aha. hmm, so we need to ship a tool to generate POT
file from the xml then? or is there any tool to do so?
honestly I did think of that. it works for our own files. but may be a
bit hard to do it for files we don't maintain. e.g. which fonts
upstream and/or packages in distributions shipped.
Anyway, let me think about it more and try.

--
Akira TAGOH