[Fontconfig] different font sets for nearly identical code paths

Fabian Greffrath fabian at greffrath.com
Tue Sep 1 02:18:44 PDT 2015

Hi again, Akira,

Am Dienstag, den 01.09.2015, 16:16 +0900 schrieb Akira TAGOH:
> If you add any patterns about the glyph coverage, you're right and
> fontconfig will behaves like that. otherwise there should be no
> different in score between both fonts as your example did.

both code paths undergo two steps, and the second step is identical in
both paths:

Path 1: FcFontList() "outline=true" -> FcFontSetSort() "family=URW Palladio L"
Path 2: FcFontSort() "outline=true" -> FcFontSetSort() "family=URW Palladio L"

Apparently, fontconfig already sorts p052023l.pfb higher than
uplri8a.pfb in the first step of the second path, although the only
requested pattern is "outline=true".

It may have its reasons for this, but I don't understand why the re
-ordering of the font sets with "family=URW Palladio L" as the only
pattern leads to different results at the end of both code paths.

 - Fabian