[Fontconfig] performance issue questions

Akira TAGOH akira at tagoh.org
Tue Nov 29 04:15:58 UTC 2016

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 8:40 AM, L. A. Walsh <fonts at tlinx.org> wrote:

> Keith Packard wrote:
>
>> We might as well just stop attempting to automatically manage the caches
>> and require that users run fc-cache manually whenever they change the
>> set of installed fonts. That would push the whole problem out of
>> fontconfig and onto the user or distribution...
>>

> ---
>    That would be preferable, since the user might want to install
> 100 fonts and then build a cache rather than have it rebuilt with
> each font installed.

That said you are facing this issue because you didn't do that. once we
stop attempting to automatically creating/updating/removing caches, you'll
see another problem, "hey, no fonts is available" ;)
Thinking of seeing such issues many times, I'm wondering if leaving the
cache creation to the users would be really a good idea.

--
Akira TAGOH