[fprint] AuthenTec AES2810 (08ff:2810)

Vasily Khoruzhick anarsoul at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 01:09:23 PDT 2012

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 7:50 AM, Anton Krug <anton.krug at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi

Hi Anton

> I found the remark that the "less safe" mode is available, l'm little bit in
> awe. I was in belive that there is just the crypto mode and AuthenTec
> wouldn't supply protocol documentation to keep it safe, so the only way to
> get it working would be reverse engineer it.

Actually, it was possible to reverse engineer AES2550 protocol and use
same driver for
AES2810 (according to datasheet AES2550 lacks crypto engine, but still
register- and command-compatible
with AES2810), unfortunately no one supplied AES2550 usbsniff logs,
and no one had an idea to try same for
AES2810.

Now we have datasheets and sample devices from AuthenTec. I really
hope that AuthenTec will
continue to support opensource drivers for their devices.

> After couple tries years ago I
> just forget about it knowing that most probably won't be functional in Linux
> at all. Nice for the company that changed the mind and supplied the 'less
> safe' mode protocol specification. Maybe it would be even nicer if they did
> from beginning. But better late than never.
>
> In configure.ac I changed the AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE version so it will not
> complain about mine and it compiled without any problems. I got the demo
> working too, for over hour I was forcing to compile completely the
> fingerprintGUI, but now that works too and recognizes the reader. Very nice.
> :-)
>
> Now I have piece of mind that all my laptops hardware is supported by Linux.
>
> Anton

Regards
Vasily