[fprint] AES3500 patch test report

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Sat May 4 13:13:23 PDT 2013

Hello,

On Sat, 04 May 2013 17:27:12 +0100
Tom Chiverton <tom+fprint at falkensweb.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 04 May 2013 18:15:29 Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
> > Some thinking helped though. First of all, AES3500 cannot capture a
> > *fingerprint*, it just physically too small for that. It can capture
> > only small sub-area of it, then depending on how exactly you put
> > your finger on it, areas will be rather different, likely straining
> > NBIS. As a fingerprinting layman, I also put my index finger's tip
> > on the sensor, and the tip contains almost parallel lines, and
> > probably lacks enough features to recognize. Shape of my APC Biopod
> > kinda
>
> I've not even wikipedia'ed it, admittedly, but rather thought fprint
> was stitching together a series of snap shots taken as you move your
> finger down across the face of the camera.
>
> Much like a panorama feature in many cameras...

Yeah, I'd think that's definitely how "narrow slot" type fingerprint
readers work - you swipe a finger across the sensor. But there're
also those which has large enough area where you just press
finger against. AES3500 would look like this second type (photo of my
device: http://www.strobey.co.uk/pics/aes3400/biopod.jpg) - except that
well, sensor area 6.5x6.5mm is a bit too small to capture big enough
part of entire fingerprint, which leads to a repeatable
finger positioning problems.

I tried to swipe a finger against it too, but nope, fprint_demo
captures just square image on first contact.

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:pmiscml at gmail.com