[fprint] 1-n matching?

Pavel Herrmann morpheus.ibis at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 00:59:31 PDT 2014

Hi

On Wednesday 30 of July 2014 09:47:32 Jimmy Jeppesen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am writing an application that will need to read a fingerprint and then
> compare this to a series of previously scanned images and report back which
> file matched.
>
> The matched file then corresponds to a given user and I can proceed from
> there.
>
> I have googled high and low, and it seems like libfprint is not suited for
> this purpose - Am I right? :-)

nope

libfprint provides two operations - verify and identify

verify asks you to use a specific finger and check against it, while identify
gets a fingerprint and tries to match it to any sample in the set

see (slightly archaic) http://www.reactivated.net/fprint/api/

how this is handled in fprintd I have no idea, sorry

> If not, which programs do I need (or which parameters to frpintd-verify)?
>
> Thanks,
> Jimmy
>
> ps, thanks for the help with installation - It was indeed the Debian
> version on APT that was too old and a hand.compiled version worked out of
> the box.

regards
Pavel Herrmann