[fprint] EgisTec ES603 Error -22

Patrick Marlier patrick.marlier at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 00:15:30 PDT 2014

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 10:22 PM, Martin Hejnfelt <martin at duffman.dk> wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-03-25 at 13:19 +0100, Patrick Marlier wrote:
>> Indeed first capture looks fine even though 354 lines are removed from
>> the capture. How fast did you swipe? Did you try fprint_demo to check
>> the quality of fingerprint?
> Usually I swipe somewhat fast (same speed as I would on my UPEK in my
> laptop). I don't have a mm per sec. speed, but I would imagine its
> regular swipe speed :) The quality in fprint_demo varies, and usually I
> can't get through a enroll phase. The first image looks good (although a
> bit more "rough" and interlaced compared to my UPEK, but then usually it
> stops with either just some black lines, or nothing, in a second image.
> It's almost like it detects my finger again, after I removed it.

You are saying that even with fprint_demo, the first scan waits
properly the finger to be on the device and the scan is good but if
you try to do a second scan, fprint_demo says immediately that the
finger is on the device and the scan is empty. Right?

In this case, it could be a bad calibration of the device (you may
need to play a bit with the calibration values, check the calibration
values, try to set them to fixed values) or it could be that your
device needs some more commands to reset the device for the next scan
(I doubt about that but it could be). If you want to hack a bit the
source, feel free to ask me questions.
Also can you send me the debug output with the calibration values
(should be at the beginning before the first scan). A screenshot of
the fingerprint may also help.

> Note that this reader is a cheap dealextreme unit
> (http://www.dx.com/p/mini-usb-2-0-biometric-fingerprint-reader-password-security-lock-for-pc-109073#.UzHzM9ud58M), that has a very "chinese" (without being offensive) feel to it, if you know what I mean. I am thinking if I should switch to a more robust and expensive alternative, but I guess thats another issue :)

I did not know that this was shipped outside of cheap Lenovo laptops.
I might buy one since I consider changing my laptop. I imagine the
'core' is the same as mine so this is not high quality but enough most
of the time.

>> I think the best way to find the problem is that you try fprint_demo
>> and you send me debug output and resulted fingerprint images.
> I'll try to dig something out!

Keep me posted then :)
--
Patrick