[fprint] upektc_img driver enhancements

Vasily Khoruzhick anarsoul at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 20:28:44 UTC 2016

Hey Jan,

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 7:48 AM, Jan Breuer <jan.breuer at jaybee.cz> wrote:
> Hello,
> I have multiple different figerprint readers from CrossMatch. Because of the
> acquisition of DigitalPersona and Upek, they are formally Upek TouchChip
> based. I have also documentation of ESS&TFM communication protocol (The
> protocol with "Ciao" header).
>
> I have these readers all with the same USB ID 147e:2016
> Area sensor TCETC1FF022
> Area sensor TCETD1FF022
> Strip senzor TCESC4KS0C0
> EikonTouch 710 (based on TCETD1)

> I have extended the upektc_img driver based on this documentation, so it can
> now work with all these readers. I can also determine image resolution and
> type (area, strip) at runtime, so it now supports all possible Upek
> TouchChip based sensors.

Great!

> I have two questions:
>
> Is it legal to send you patch based on this documentation (documentation is
> under NDA)?

I don't know, it depends on the NDA. Thus I'm not sure if you are
allowed to share the code.
But on the other hand, you cannot distribute these modifications in
binary form, since it violates LGPL license.

> If yes, what is the best way to tell the driver the sensor type and
> resolution? I'm now changing upektc_img_driver values at runtime, but these
> values are not properties of currently connected reader but properties of
> the driver itself. It is impossible to use more then one fignerprint reader
> at a time. Is this OK?

You can set them to -1 and then update in runtime when you open a
device. In this case it should work even with multiple devices.

> Best regards,
> Jan Breuer

Regards,
Vasily