[fprint] Proposition of help for support of VFS495

Cedric Viou Cedric.Viou at obs-nancay.fr
Sun Nov 27 20:14:58 UTC 2016

Hi,

My HP ZBook provides a Validity fingerprint reader that is not yet supported by fprintlib:
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 138a:003f Validity Sensors, Inc. VFS495 Fingerprint Reader

I run libfprint 1:0.6.0-git20160719-1-0ppa1~xenial1 with Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS.

A few weeks ago, I managed to get the VFS495 to work (enrole and authenticate) with the following tutorials:
- https://balintbanyasz.wordpress.com/2015/03/27/get-validity-vfs-495-fingerprint-reader-working-in-ubuntu-14-04/
- http://blog.pasqualefiorillo.it/post/hp-probook-4540s-validity-sensors-driver-su-linux-mintdebian/

However, I had to get rid of it because it broke the lib dependencies on my system and I'm not knowledgeable enough to handle such situation.

I can't write a driver, but I'd be happy to help with testing the VFS495 if its support is considered.

Sincerely Yours,

Cedric Viou