[fprint] Documentation for writing a new driver

Mark Harfouche mark.harfouche at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 17:49:59 UTC 2018

Hello all,

I would like to develop a driver for the Validity 0091 sensor available on
the Dell XPS13/15 9X60.

I would say I have the driver reverse engineered to 95% (There might be a
few things I still don’t understand from the internal state machine).
https://github.com/hmaarrfk/Validity91
WIP: https://github.com/freedesktop/libfprint

I found the libfprint source, can compile it, and started creating my own
driver.

However, I am confused about the internal workings of libfprint and the
functions I need to define.
I tried to follow examples that were included, but it seemed that they were
mostly “swipe”‘ sensors, and not capacitive style sensor.
Is there any good documentation about the state machines I need to
implement with regards to the functions

    .open = dev_open,
    .close = dev_close,
    .activate = dev_activate,