[Freedesktop-sdk] Supporting Qt and KDE in the Freedesktop SDK

Richard Dale richard.dale at codethink.co.uk
Fri Nov 2 15:10:09 UTC 2018

On 02/11/18 11:46, Richard Dale wrote:
> There are some outstanding merge requests and issue reports relating to
> adding Qt and KDE BuildStream and Flatpak build support to the
> Freedesktop SDK.
>
> As we haven't reached a consensus yet on how best to do it, I thought I
> should start a mailing list discussion.

I think we have a requirement for two different Qt SDKs.

One Qt SDK would be for use with Qt-only apps based on the LTS Qt 5.9
with just the 'Qt Essentials' Qt libraries as defined here in the Qt docs:

http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtmodules.html

I think we would need to have BuildStream elements for the qtbase,
qtdeclarative, qtquick1, qtquickcontrols, qtquickcontrols2 and
qtmultimedia Qt git repos for this Qt Application SDK and Runtime. If a
Qt only application needed additional Qt libraries, they would have to
be added as a bundled dependency with the application.

A second set of Qt BuildStream elements with the full set of the current
versions of the Qt libraries (ie Qt 5.11 at present) with KDE patches,
for use in the KDE Runtime and SDK. These Qt libraries wouldn't be in a
stand alone SDK and would only be used as part of the KDE Runtime and SDK.

--
Richard Dale
Software Developer - Codethink