[fdo] Re: Scheduling subsystems (crontab, at) and the desktop

Mårten Svantesson f95-msv at f.kth.se
Fri Jul 23 07:29:53 PDT 2004

Philip Van Hoof <spamfrommailing at freax.org> writes:

> While implementing this userinterface, we came across several
> incompatibilities between different versions and implementations of
> crontab and incompatibilities between different versions of at.
>
> This makes it very very hard to implement a GUI for such systems.
>
> At will prepend a bunch of environment variables to your scripts. Which
> ones differs between distributions, users and the stack of environment
> variables which you have set.
>
> Crontab has different implementations (dcron, Vixies crontab) which
> might or might not have the same commandline options and behaviours.
>
> I feel that freedesktop.org is the place to be to get a specification
> for these subsystems published.
>
> What do you people think?

Are the current standards concerning at and crontab lacking? For
example the latest UNIX specification:

The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 6

In part XCU at and crontab are specified:
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/contents.html

--
                - Mårten

mail: msv at kth.se *** ICQ: 4356928 *** mobile: +46 (0)707390385