[fdo] Re: TTS API

Janina Sajka janina at freestandards.org
Fri Nov 5 08:57:14 PST 2004

Two comments:

1.)	The VoiceXML WG in the W3C is organizing a sub-committee to
address accessibility. It's the WG that has the "Say As" spec. The call
for participation went out to W3C members only, but there is a mechanism
for engaging participation of non-members, and one of the WG's purposes
is collaboration with outside entities.

2.)	A public working draft for "Timed Text" has just been published
by the W3C. That announcement is attached. I believe "time text" is at
least tangentially related to the current discussion. Certainly, it
represents a source of streaming text that will need to be voiced by TTS
for some users. And, it probably poses some challenges in that, as with
all streams, data may arrive at somewhat irregular intervals.

--

				Janina Sajka, Chair
				Accessibility Workgroup

janina at freestandards.org	Phone: +1 202.494.7040