[fdo] x's network performance

Timothy Smith timothy at open-networks.net
Thu Feb 24 14:25:19 PST 2005

i use x windows remotely over a lan for my main desktop, i recently
tried it over an adsl connect. i read all the docs so i knew it wasn't
going to be a great performer, but honestly i was shocked at how
pathetic it is. x makes a big deal out of it's client server network
centric model, so why does it suck so bad when you try to do so.
i understand X has stagnated under the Xfree86 project for years, so
with this new fresh start under x.org is anyone working on this? can i
put up my hand to do so? i wouldn't mind making some changes and
submitting patches.
i want to see X compete directly with citrix and terminal services, that
is the point of a network GUI after all.