[fdo] Ideas for improving current situation on Linux/UNIX desktops

Jonas Baggett jonas17b at gmail.com
Sat Apr 15 08:06:00 UTC 2017

Hello everyone,

Here are some general thoughts as an end user. I really apreciate an
initiative such as the freedesktop’s that promotes collaborating amongst
desktop environments (DE). I saw recently some good initiatives going to
this direction with the merge of Razor-Qt and LXDE to create LXQt, after
their respective teams found out they have a similar vision, and the
collaboration between the LXQt and KDE teams that allowed LXQt to be
used with kwin. It’s great to see a collaboration between 2 projects
with a very different vision, but I believe it is only the beginning of
what could be done. As far as I understand, freedesktop puts especially
the focus on creating a common backend and defining standards and
protocols to ease interoperability between DE and to reduce dupplication
of code.

My question is, why not go further with these ideas to improve the user
experience and reduce dupplication of code, not only on the DE backend
level but also at the application level (pdf viewer, text editor,
music/video player, etc) ? Currently DE keep reinventing the wheel and
create their own applications in order to give an unified desktop
experience to their users. Personnally I use the application that better
fits my needs, is it the one written for gnome, KDE or anything else.
But the lack of unity that results from that in my desktop experience
still sucks and installing KDE or Gnome dependencies because of one
application is overkill.

I find it also puzzling to find between 10 applications designed for
doing the same thing, which one does it better for me. I believe this
situation to be a big loss of time and energy that would better be used
for some more valuable work. Doing its own things looks like more a
closed source mentality than an open source one. Open source really
shines when people have a collaborative mentality. On the other hand,
having developer teams with different visions and targeted users and
hardware is a real richness, and it’s necessarly for innovation, but
they should ideally collaborate together as long as it doesn’t conflict
to their vision. I mean, if 2 teams want to do the same thing but could
only agree about 80% of what the features should be, then they should
better do the 80% together and do the remaining 20% alone instead of
doing everything alone.

For me it seems that a good solution for improving the situation with
applications on the Linux/UNIX desktops would be to have one application
shared by several DE and structured in a modular way with a core part
independant from any desktop environnment or GUI toolkit, this being the
lowest common denominator, and a DE and GUI toolkit dependant part that
will give the expected user experience and look&feel for the given DE.
Would it be any technical or performance issues which such a solution ?
Or is it not happening merely because the DE teams aren’t ready for
collaborating that close to each other ? Ok there will probably be cases
when collaborating wouldn’t be possible because of divergence of
visions, but at least I believe that collaborating should be the first
instinct and doing its own things should be a last resort.

I am far to be an expert on the subject, but I have these questions in
my mind since a while and I would like to go deeper in that matter.

Cheers,
Jonas