[fdo] Migration to gitlab?

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Fri May 11 11:21:35 UTC 2018

Hi,
For some reason my mail setup had broken and I had fallen off this
list, so I'm having to break thread to reply. That's also why I hadn't
seen your mails. :( Apologies.

Albert Astrals Cid:
> "As some of you have seen, freedesktop.org is migrating its Git hosting
> to GitLab"
>
> It is really sad that I as a maintainer of a freedesktop.org project have to
> learn about this on the news.

Fair enough. I have a better announcement ready to go out this week;
most discussions tend to happen on sitewranglers@ but I'll make sure
this list gets CCed as well.

> From reading that sentence I take this is a done deal[1] and we can't give any
> input, or can we?

Please feel free to give any and all input.

I tried to outline in the mail that for the foreseeable future, for
member projects this means only:
  * your push URL will change from git.fd.o to gitlab.fd.o, only after
explicit consultation and transition (see
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/freedesktop/freedesktop/issues/2)
  * rather than requesting SSH key updates, account changes, and group
additions/removals from admins, you will be able to do this through
the GitLab management interface
  * nothing else

We are not shutting down lists, Bugzilla, Patchwork, or any other
services. This _may_ happen at _some_ point in the future, but it is
not on the near horizon. It would only happen after we'd been able to
transition all our projects off those services so they didn't rely on
them. (For mailing lists, I fully expect this will never happen.)

Phabricator and Jenkins _will_ be shut down. Everyone using those
services has already been contacted and has expressed enthusiasm for
moving off them; we have not stranded or forced everyone.

If you want to continue using the current services, that's fine: we
are not forcing any projects to adopt a fully web-based workflow.

In general, yes, having feedback and input would be wonderful.

> P.S: If you care enough to read an answer this email, there's still the email
> I wrote 3 months ago about github that hasn't been answered either, I'd also
> appreciate an answer on that.

Again, apologies for not having seen it. I saw last night on IRC that
this had been fixed: there _is_ a bot which runs through closing pull
requests every 15 minutes, but for some reason it had not been running
recently.

You can see this here:
  https://github.com/freedesktop/poppler/pull/3

To answer your other question, yes, it is controlled by fd.o. Ray
Strode is the primary maintainer of the mirror scripts (it was him who
fixed it), and the fd.o admins have controlling access to the
organisation account on GitHub.

Cheers,
Daniel