[fdo] Migration to gitlab?

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon May 14 18:26:22 UTC 2018

El divendres, 11 de maig de 2018, a les 13:21:35 CEST, Daniel Stone va
escriure:
> Hi,
> For some reason my mail setup had broken and I had fallen off this
> list, so I'm having to break thread to reply. That's also why I hadn't
> seen your mails. :( Apologies.
>
> Albert Astrals Cid:

Is Astrals an autocomplete thing, lots of people make that mistake :D

> > "As some of you have seen, freedesktop.org is migrating its Git hosting
> > to GitLab"
> >
> > It is really sad that I as a maintainer of a freedesktop.org project have
> > to learn about this on the news.
>
> Fair enough. I have a better announcement ready to go out this week;
> most discussions tend to happen on sitewranglers@ but I'll make sure
> this list gets CCed as well.
>
> > From reading that sentence I take this is a done deal[1] and we can't give
> > any input, or can we?
>
> Please feel free to give any and all input.
>
> I tried to outline in the mail that for the foreseeable future, for
> member projects this means only:
>   * your push URL will change from git.fd.o to gitlab.fd.o, only after
> explicit consultation and transition (see
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/freedesktop/freedesktop/issues/2)
>   * rather than requesting SSH key updates, account changes, and group
> additions/removals from admins, you will be able to do this through
> the GitLab management interface
>   * nothing else
>
> We are not shutting down lists, Bugzilla, Patchwork, or any other
> services. This _may_ happen at _some_ point in the future, but it is
> not on the near horizon. It would only happen after we'd been able to
> transition all our projects off those services so they didn't rely on
> them. (For mailing lists, I fully expect this will never happen.)
>
> Phabricator and Jenkins _will_ be shut down. Everyone using those
> services has already been contacted and has expressed enthusiasm for
> moving off them; we have not stranded or forced everyone.
>
> If you want to continue using the current services, that's fine: we
> are not forcing any projects to adopt a fully web-based workflow.
>
> In general, yes, having feedback and input would be wonderful.
>
> > P.S: If you care enough to read an answer this email, there's still the
> > email I wrote 3 months ago about github that hasn't been answered either,
> > I'd also appreciate an answer on that.
>
> Again, apologies for not having seen it. I saw last night on IRC that
> this had been fixed: there _is_ a bot which runs through closing pull
> requests every 15 minutes, but for some reason it had not been running
> recently.
>
> You can see this here:
>   https://github.com/freedesktop/poppler/pull/3
>
> To answer your other question, yes, it is controlled by fd.o. Ray
> Strode is the primary maintainer of the mirror scripts (it was him who
> fixed it), and the fd.o admins have controlling access to the
> organisation account on GitHub.

Thanks for the answer, next time let's please try to inform us before than the
press, at least myself would feel like I'm not totally ignored :)

Cheers,
  Albert