[Freedreno] [GSoC-15] Enabling Freedreno on Android

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 11:55:47 PDT 2015

On 16/03/15 17:48, Ilia Mirkin wrote:
> I'm fairly ignorant about android stuff, but I think that while a lot
> of pieces exist, no one has taken the effort to put it all together.
Which pieces are you thinking about "putting together" ? Imho that alone
might be a monumental task which far exceeds a single GSoC.

If one splits Androids in two categories - "open-source drivers" and
"others", the former will be android-ia and android-x86. The latter of
which picks some (most?) things from android-ia.

> IMHO the most ideal outcome of a GSoC project would be e.g. a
> CyanogenMod build (or pick-your-favorite-android-distro) for some
> concrete Adreno device that runs freedreno on top of drm/msm (or
> drm/kgsl, although that's a less ideal outcome). Using that as a guide
> should make it a lot more feasible to support more devices.
Indeed it would. Note that most mesa drivers are supported to a level by
android-x86 - (cough llvm, radeonsi, tr1-nouveau). Although those pieces
are fairly android-distro agnostic.

Ideally Androids will use upstream for drivers (mesa, drm, drm_gralloc,
hwcomposer, kernel?) and send back patches. For all we care they can do
whatever they want with the rest of the stack.

-Emil

P.S. The whole android-x86 "obsession" is because it's the only one I
have experience with, rather than it being better or whatever.