[Freedreno] [GSoC-15] Enabling Freedreno on Android

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 13:02:36 PDT 2015

On 16/03/15 19:00, Ilia Mirkin wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 2:55 PM, Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 16/03/15 17:48, Ilia Mirkin wrote:
>>> I'm fairly ignorant about android stuff, but I think that while a lot
>>> of pieces exist, no one has taken the effort to put it all together.
>> Which pieces are you thinking about "putting together" ? Imho that alone
>> might be a monumental task which far exceeds a single GSoC.
>
> No clue. Whatever pieces are necessary to get me an android build on a
> device (preferably with a display)
Practically every Android has this, and those are irrelevant from a
driver's POV.

The Android graphics stack is roughly:
 - libEGL drivers - mesa vs proprietary solutions.
 - HAL(glue) - *gralloc* and *hwcomposer*.
 - Kernel + modules.

Although they should be mostly identical independent of the Android flavour.

> using freedreno as its gles driver.
> At the end of the day I want an image I can flash onto the device and
> that's it. I believe that CM & co provide all of the pieces of this
> experience except for the free drivers. However a different approach
> towards this goal would be fine by me as well.
>
> Otherwise the output of the GSoC would be too intangible and of much
> less value.
> But again, I'm speaking without any serious knowledge of
> android internals, so perhaps this is infeasible for one reason or
> another.

I feel that you're leaning towards "getting it into some Android, to be
used/tested", whereas I'm thinking at "get it upstream, and spread the
word so that Androids can pick it up".

Integration can be a pain sometimes, so I'd guess a quick email towards
Android X, Y and Z to get the feel might be nice.

Something like "I'm doing GSoC about... Can we get someone to help out
during the integration with your project ?"

-Emil