[Freedreno] [GSoC-15] Enabling Freedreno on Android

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 06:24:33 PDT 2015

Hi Nicolas,

On 18 March 2015 at 22:35, Nicolas Dechesne <nicolas.dechesne at linaro.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 1:09 PM, Rob Clark <robdclark at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The ifc6410, if you order it with android (instead of linaro/ubuntu
>> build) seems to come with an AOSP build.  Not sure if it is "vanilla"
>> AOSP or if it has some stuff from CAF?  I think they do have some docs
>> which should cover how to make a build in their 'techweb' section,
>> which you can get access to when you have a board.
>
> the android builds that come with IFC6410 are based on CAF, not
> strictly AOSP. the Inforce release notes give the repo manifest to
> fetch all source code from the CAF repo, it should be possible to diff
> with AOSP, to see how bad/good the diffstat looks like (but i am not
> very optimistic here). The Inforce builds also have proprietary pieces
> (the vendor/qcom/proprietary folder) and they are released in binary
> form.
>
> i think we can target to get graphics, video playback (and maybe
> audio), WLAN and BT to work with an open source AOSP based build, but
> it will start to be tricky for things like camera, GPS at least...
Any particular reason on the wording "... to work with AOSP _based_
...". Do you know of (m)any obstacles wrt getting things back into the
AOSP project ? Is it that hard for non Google employees and/or
partners to get things up-streamed ? Can you share your experience on
the topic (or link to a blog/other) ? Thanks !

On the side of video playback, WLAN, BT, etc. I fully agree that
having those out and accessible will be great. Although as Rob
mentioned this might be out of the scope in the project.

Cheers,
Emil