[Freedreno] Question regarding status on the Inforce 6540 SBC.

Nicolas Dechesne nicolas.dechesne at linaro.org
Mon Oct 26 05:50:35 PDT 2015

hi,

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 10:37 AM, Cristian Pandele <cp at zeuxion.com> wrote:
> I am interested in purchasing the Inforce 6540 board, but I am a little
> unsure on what the freedreno status is for the Adreno 420 GPU on the
> Snapdragon 805 this board comes equipped with. I saw this interview from
> this March, in which the Linaro team demoed HW-accelerated H264 decoding in
> the browser and Rob Clark showed some Open GL results. Also, this (probably)
> follow-up article and this presentation say that Adreno 4xx is already in
> Freedreno.  However, I am uncertain if more general-puropse applications can
> benefit from GPU acceleration, not just OpenGL apps. My main interest is in
> running ffmpeg/x264 with GPU acceleration.

the h/w accelerated decoding in the video you mentioned was not on
IFC6540, but on IFC6410. Which uses a different SoC.
As of now, there is no support for h/w video decoder on the APQ8084
SoC which you have on the IFC6540. This might come in the future,
though..
Also, on IFC6410 the video decoder acceleration was provided through a
Gstreamer plugin (which in turns uses a custom char driver in the
kernel), and there has been so far no integration into ffmpeg, only
Gstreamer.

Now on the rendering side of things (rendering of video frames) if you
application uses GL/GLES, then it should work fine through the
GPU/freedreno.