[Fribidi-discuss] fribidi & arabic shaping

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at bamdad.org
Thu Mar 21 04:19:02 EST 2002

Hi all,

I think that by enable_shaping_options Nadim means to turn on or
off the shaping, AFAIK shaping has no options.

And we do not need the help for this, we have the tested code, I
should just merge them.

behdad

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Omer Zak wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
>
> > Behdad, I'm assuming by "joining" you mean shaping ?  If so, could you
> > please include a flag to whether you want that enabled or not as part of
> > the interface (for backward compatibility & in the cases the application
> > is doing its own) ?
> >
> > ie. something along the lines of,
> >
> >  void
> >  fribidi_log2vis(/* input */
>
> There is also FriBidiEnv* parameter.
>
> >                  FriBidiChar     *str,
> >                  int              len,
> >                  FriBidiCharType *pbase_dir,
> >                  int              enable_shaping_options,     <--- NEW
> >                  /* output */
> >                  FriBidiChar *visual_str,
> >                  gint        *position_L_to_V_list,
> >                  gint        *position_V_to_L_list,
> >                  gint8       *embedding_level_list
> >                 )
> >
> > If there are issues with the shaping implementation, I have no problem
> > helping/implementing simply as an incentive and indication of its
> > importance to the Arabic community at large.
>
> The FriBidiEnv data structure has enough unassigned flags to accommodate
> the shaping options.
>
> How many shaping options do you need, Nadim?
>
>                                              --- Omer
> WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  see at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html

Behdad Esfahbod				1 Farvardin 1381, 2002 Mar 21
<behdad at bamdad dot org>		[Finger for Geek Code]

Proof techniques #1: Proof by Induction.

This technique is used on equations with "n" in them.  Induction
techniques are very popular, even the military used them.

SAMPLE: Proof of induction without proof of induction.

        We know it's true for n equal to 1.  Now assume that it's true
for every natural number less than n.  N is arbitrary, so we can take n
as large as we want.  If n is sufficiently large, the case of n+1 is
trivially equivalent, so the only important n are n less than n.  We
can take n = n (from above), so it's true for n+1 because it's just
about n.
        QED.    (QED translates from the Latin as "So what?")