[Fribidi-discuss] fribidi & arabic shaping

Tomas Frydrych tomas at frydrych.uklinux.net
Thu Mar 21 05:14:04 EST 2002

Just to clarify what we mean by shaping -- do you mean choosing
initial/medial/final/isolate forms of letters based on the context?

If so, I did not know that FriBidi can do this, and I am not entirely
convinced it should do it either. The reason for this is that while
shaping can be done for Arabic by replacing the base Unicode
value with one of the values from Arabic Presentation Forms A/B,
this is merely the consequence of the Arabic Unicode set being
created as a legacy one. There are other code sets that require
shaping (e.g. Syriac) that do not have a legacy code set, and
whose Unicode definition is strictly semantic (e.g., only one
codepoint for 'nun' which can be represented by 4 different
glyphshapes). The glyphshaping in such a case can only be
implemented by a font-rendering system, using fonts that support it
(OpenType), and I believe that it is the view of the Unicode
consortium that this is where glyphshaping belongs.

The bottom line is, that you cannot create a Unicode-compliant
glyshaping engine without meddling with fonts, and am not sure
that FriBidi wants to do this (there are other projects working on
this, e.g. freetype.org). As far as Arabic glyphshaping is
concerned, I think it would be better to have a separate library for
this, and leave FriBidi as an implementation of the Unicode BIDI
algorithm only.

Tomas