[POLITICAL] Re: [Fribidi-discuss] License question to the project owners

Omer Zak omerz at actcom.co.il
Fri Jul 11 05:02:02 EST 2003

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Paulo Soares wrote:

> My problems start with the dual licensing of iText. Either I say somewhere
> that if you want Arabic without using awt you are restricted to LGPL or, and
> that's my request, I get some kind of exception from you for this partial
> port to java and the MPL/LGPL license can still be applied even for the
> fribidi part.

My position, as a (minor) contributor to FriBidi development:
I require that my contributions to FriBidi continue to be singly-licensed
under the LGPL, and I don't accept MPL as an alternative license.

One of my concerns about MPL is clause 4 - "Inability to Comply Due to
Statute or Regulation", which allows the software to be distributed in
countries, whose laws override provisions of the MPL.

Given the current state of enmity between Arabic-speaking countries and
Hebrew-speaking countries in the world, such a loophole might be used by
fanatic contributors to prohibit use of their technically sound
contribution with text in one of the above languages, if the laws of their
country support such a prohibition.
                                             --- Omer
I may be affiliated in any way.