[Fribidi-discuss] License question to the project owners

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at bamdad.org
Sun Jul 13 09:08:29 EST 2003

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, Beni Cherniavsky wrote:

> Behdad Esfahbod wrote on 2003-07-13:
>
> > On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Beni Cherniavsky wrote:
> >
> > > Fribidi is in C which will require an extra wrapper layer.  `UAX 9`_
> > > has demo code in C++ and Java, is that of any use (code-wise and
> > > license-wise)?  I must admit I never looked at it, just guessing that
> > > it's worth a look since your library is in Java...
> > >
> > > .. _UAX 9: http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr9/tr9-11.html
> >
> > The reference implementations have an strict license,
>
> What a shame.  What's the use of a standard whose refernce
> implmenetation is not Free or Public Domain?  Oh, I see it's a
> standard made by a consorcium of corporations...

Here it is:

     Source code in this file and the accompanying headers and included files
         may be distributed free of charge by anyone, as long as full credit is
         given and any and all liabilities are assumed by the recipient.

> > and they do not support Unicode.
> >
> Do you mean, literally, don't support Unicode and work in unibyte
> representations?  ROTFL!

Well, it's just an implementation of the bidi algorithm.  It
works with bytes.

--
Behdad Esfahbod		22 Tir 1382, 2003 Jul 13
http://behdad.org/	[Finger for Geek Code]

If you do a job too well, you'll get stuck with it.