[Fribidi-discuss] License question to the project owners

Paulo Soares psoares at consiste.pt
Sun Jul 13 08:14:11 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Behdad Esfahbod" <behdad at bamdad.org>
To: "Beni Cherniavsky" <cben at techunix.technion.ac.il>
Cc: "Paulo Soares" <psoares at consiste.pt>;
<fribidi-discuss at lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Sunday, July 13, 2003 13:13
Subject: Re: [Fribidi-discuss] License question to the project owners

> On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Beni Cherniavsky wrote:
>
> > Fribidi is in C which will require an extra wrapper layer.  `UAX 9`_
> > has demo code in C++ and Java, is that of any use (code-wise and
> > license-wise)?  I must admit I never looked at it, just guessing that
> > it's worth a look since your library is in Java...
> >
> > .. _UAX 9: http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr9/tr9-11.html
>
> The reference implementations have an strict license, and they do
> not support Unicode.

The Java reference code has a "Copyright IBM" but they don't elaborate any
further over eventual restrictions. About supporting Unicode,
BidiReference.java only deals with bidi types that can be found in
UnicodeData.txt.

I've already came up with a solution based in the reference code and a table
from UnicodeData.txt to get the bidi types so, you can drop the MPL question
and the need to get at each others throats. I'm sorry I asked.

Best Regards,
Paulo Soares