[Fribidi-discuss] Re: Wiki on BiDi?

Ilya Konstantinov ivrix-discuss at future.shiny.co.il
Sun Jun 8 10:12:02 EST 2003

On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 06:07:42PM +0300, Beni Cherniavsky wrote:
> I'm becoming increasingly convinced that the world needs a Wiki on
> BiDi.  There is no good web resource on it anywhere and a wiki seems
> to be the simplest way to create one.  In particular I'm thinking
> about bidi from programmer's POV, especially answering the "I don't
> know anything about bidi, what do I have to do to support it in my
> program?" question.  Granted, it's not frequently asked but an answer
> would be valuable.  Besides in many scenarios the answer is still
> unclear and a wiki seems like a good way to collaborate on it.

An independant WiKi is a bad idea. What I'd rather see is a
well-formed standard posted at FreeDesktop.org. I think Matitiau
Allouche's Guidelines of a Logical User Interface for Editing
Bidirectional Text [1] serve as a good start. In addition, it'd be
useful to write a book-style (rather than Reference Manual style)
DocBook on BiDi, also to be published as a part of FreeDesktop, LDP or
Ivrix.

If you're whilling to take a part in such effort, Ale Ve Hatzlah. On
the other hand, creating yet another run-off-the-mill WiKi site to die
off as an unmaintained mess in a year? No thanks.

[1] http://imagic.weizmann.ac.il/~dov/Hebrew/logicUI24.htm