[Fribidi-discuss] CVS brakes binary compatibility?

Beni Cherniavsky cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Mon Jun 9 00:40:01 EST 2003

Behdad Esfahbod wrote on 2003-06-09:

> On Sun, 8 Jun 2003, Beni Cherniavsky wrote:
>
> > Agreed.  I just thought it inconvenient to develop this while being
> > careful not to install it.  Since we will need to make a
> > non-compatible release someday anyway and it better be installable
> > along-side with the old library (until all applications switch over),
> > why not make whatever is needed to not interfere now and then continue
> > development?
>
> This is not the only problem.  By releasing another incompatible
> version now, developers start migrating to it, so after another
> incompatibility, there would be three different fribidis...,
> better keep it at two.

Don't "release" it.  Clearly mark it as an unstable version.  So you
have the old stable version and the new one which "doesn't work yet"
(not in the way it eventually will) but already doesn't interfere with
the old one.

--
Beni Cherniavsky <cben at users.sf.net>

An Anti-Idiotarian Manifesto:  http://www.catb.org/~esr/aim/