[FriBidi] Fribidi 2.0 Status?

Shachar Shemesh fribidi-discuss at shemesh.biz
Thu Sep 1 00:08:01 PDT 2005

Nadav Har'El wrote:

>On Wed, Aug 31, 2005, Shachar Shemesh wrote about "Re: [FriBidi] Fribidi 2.0 Status?":
>

>>I'll mention that the Wine project is literally eager to dump the
>>current solution in favor of Fribidi, as soon as it is supporting UTF-16.
>>

>In hope of not making an ass of myself...
>
>Isn't the conversion of UTF-16 into UTF-8 a straightforward one? Why can't
>the Wine code convert the strings into UTF-8 just before calling Fribidi,
>instead of Fribidi having to contain that code?

Because Behdad's suggestion would mean that fribidi could do UTF-16
directly, without having to convert anything to anything.
Straightforward though the translation from UTF-16 to UTF-8, it's no
match for no translation at all.

>By the way, I'm curious: Does Windows actually support UTF-16, or just
>UCS-2 (i.e., only the first 65536 characters of Unicode)?

That is a question I've been trying to get an answer to for two years.
The results are inconclusive at best.

>P.S. The signature on the bottom was randomly chosen. I swear

I'll buy that bridge now, thanks.

          Shachar