[FriBidi] Fribidi 2.0 Status?

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at cs.toronto.edu
Thu Sep 1 17:20:58 EST 2005

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Nadav Har'El wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 31, 2005, Shachar Shemesh wrote about "Re: [FriBidi] Fribidi 2.0 Status?":
> > I'll mention that the Wine project is literally eager to dump the
> > current solution in favor of Fribidi, as soon as it is supporting UTF-16.
>
> In hope of not making an ass of myself...

Hey, long time...

> Isn't the conversion of UTF-16 into UTF-8 a straightforward one? Why can't
> the Wine code convert the strings into UTF-8 just before calling Fribidi,
> instead of Fribidi having to contain that code?

The problem is not converting from UTF-16 to UTF-8 only, FriBidi
internally operates on UTF-32!  Yes, UTF-16 to UTF-32 is even
more straightforward, but you need to malloc/free buffers all the
time.

That being said, I have an idea of an approximate version that
may work pretty pretty good.  I'll write it down here tomorrow.
(have been busy with other stuff lately: http://preload.sf.net/ )

> By the way, I'm curious: Does Windows actually support UTF-16, or just
> UCS-2 (i.e., only the first 65536 characters of Unicode)?

Heh, they say the infrustructure is there, applications can
support surrogates!

--behdad
http://behdad.org/