[FriBidi] what encoding? Where are the docs?

Shachar Shemesh fribidi-discuss at shemesh.biz
Tue Sep 20 02:30:54 PDT 2005

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

>Hi Martin,
>
>I don't know that much Perl, and I've never looked into the
>FriBidi Perl module.  Dov may be able to provide more
>information.   As for the library itself, it works on UTF32 (aka
>UCS4) Unicode strings, which are an array of 32-bit character
>codes.  FriBidi also ships with a set of character set conversion
>routines to and from this representation.
>
>--behdad
>http://behdad.org/

A while back we discussed a change in the interface, where labeling the
characters would be a different pass than reordering them. We also
discussed doing it in such a way that the reordering algorithm can work
directly with any width characters, transparently.

While we are on the subject, what about line breaks? I'm not sure what
the proper way to do line breaks should be. Off the top of my head, we
would like to assign the BiDi levels to each character, then perform
line breaks, and then reorder each line accoridng to the precalculated
levels. I have not run any test to see how well this algorithm lives up
to the real world.

Ideas?

          Shachar