[FriBidi] status of pyfribidi pyfribidi2 etc etc

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Thu Apr 2 01:54:29 PDT 2015

On 01/04/2015 22:32, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> On 15-03-31 03:27 AM, Robin Becker wrote:
>> What should I be using/doing?
>
> I wish I could help, but I don't know anything about any of the Python
> bindings to FriBidi :(.  In fact, I didn't know they exist until now.

Thanks for the response; the problem is that pyfribidi is not much used and
building fribidi for windows is not exactly easy.

> You might have more luck if you contact PyFribidi authors directly.
>
> Cheers,

For what it's worth I found another (more modern I think) version at
https://github.com/pediapress/pyfribidi which seems to work against latest
fribidi 0.19.6. This version works against 2.x, but I am modifying to work
against 2.7 or >=3.3. Basically it has dropped the old utf8 interfaces and just
uses the deprecated fribidi_log2vis function and allows only a unicode string to
be passed to the c code. The conversion from byte strings is handled in python
which is easier. So far I have it compiling for 2.7 & 3.3 and the 2.7 tests run
fine. Of course the tests assume byte strings so making them work for 2.7 and
3.x requires using b'' everywhere and converting to unicode where we currently
have u'...'. Very painful.

As soon as I have something that works out of the box I will post a link to a
repository or some down loadables. The intention is to get this working again
with reportlab 3.1.x.
--
Robin Becker