[FriBidi] Unicode 10 support and maintenance takeover

Dov Grobgeld dov.grobgeld at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 21:17:20 UTC 2017

Hi all,

After long discussions with Behdad behind the scenes, he has asked me to
take over the maintainer task of fribidi, which I have agreed to do. Let me
first of all thank Behdad for bringing fribidi to what it is today! I
started the fribidi project back in 1999 as a proof of concept and hoping
it would help in proliferating BiDi support in free software. Soon Behdad
took over the maintenance and with his perseverance over the years as a
maintainer have helped fulfilling this goal way beyond what I had hoped
for. Thanks again!

As I have much less experience in GNU software engineering than Behdad, I
must rely on the community more than he had to, which is part of the reason
for this email.

The main task that lies ahead of us is to release fribidi with support for
the isolating characters that were introduced into Unicode-6.3.

The code is more or less ready for this branch (though possibly not fully
optimized) and it resides in:

https://github.com/fribidi/fribidi/tree/unicode-10

But, and this is the problem, that I need advice about. This version breaks
binary compatibility with earlier versions. This break of compatibility is
due to the bidi algorithm having introduced  dependency of the bracket type
of each character, so we have to supply this bracket type as a parameter.

The main options are:

   - Just let the API break, and put some comments in the header files
   describing to users what needs to be done.
   - Create new functions, e.g. fribidi_get_par_embedding_levels_ex() that
   receives the new parameter, and let the old
   fribidi_get_par_embedding_levels() function call the new *_ex() function
   with a null ptr for the bracket type.
   - Rename this library fribidi10 (10 as in the Unicode version) and let
   it be a different projects from the previous fribidi. This way nothing is
   broken in the old api, and whoever wants to use the updated bidi algo is
   free to use this ne library.

Or do you have any other idea?

I would also very much appreciate to get feedback and bug reports about
this new branch.

Thanks in advance!

Dov