[FriBidi] Unicode 10 support and maintenance takeover

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Mon Nov 6 22:26:54 UTC 2017

Hi Dov, others,

Thanks for writing this, and accepting to take over maintenance back!  As
discussed, I've already moved my github tree to the fribidi org that you
created:

  http://github.com/fribidi/fribidi

I also transferred my fribidi.old repo there:

  https://github.com/fribidi/fribidi.old

I can also move these two:

  https://github.com/behdad/pyarabicshaping
  https://github.com/behdad/pybyedie

We can possibly gather Behnam's Python binding in that org as well.

I also want to apologize again for not fully reviewing and releasing your
excellent Unicode 6.3..10 work for so long.

Re API, I highly recommend that you DON'T break the API, and DON'T rename
the library.  Ie. your second option.

Please merge your work and move it to master.

The only other thing I like to figure out is Khaled's request to make
reorder_runs public somehow, without exposing FriBidiRun (completely).  I'm
fairly sure it's possible to expose just the first two members of
FriBidiRun. Ie:

struct _FriBidiRunPublic
{
  FriBidiRun *prev;
  FriBidiRun *next;
};

With that, I'm happy to re-expose the reorder_runs API that libraqm needs.
I'm sure glib had a structure or two that worked this way, but cannot find
which one.  I can probably do this if you want me to.

Cheers, and thanks again.  One fewer library to maintain :-).

behdad

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 4:17 PM, Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After long discussions with Behdad behind the scenes, he has asked me to
> take over the maintainer task of fribidi, which I have agreed to do. Let me
> first of all thank Behdad for bringing fribidi to what it is today! I
> started the fribidi project back in 1999 as a proof of concept and hoping
> it would help in proliferating BiDi support in free software. Soon Behdad
> took over the maintenance and with his perseverance over the years as a
> maintainer have helped fulfilling this goal way beyond what I had hoped
> for. Thanks again!
>
> As I have much less experience in GNU software engineering than Behdad, I
> must rely on the community more than he had to, which is part of the reason
> for this email.
>
> The main task that lies ahead of us is to release fribidi with support for
> the isolating characters that were introduced into Unicode-6.3.
>
> The code is more or less ready for this branch (though possibly not fully
> optimized) and it resides in:
>
> https://github.com/fribidi/fribidi/tree/unicode-10
>
> But, and this is the problem, that I need advice about. This version
> breaks binary compatibility with earlier versions. This break of
> compatibility is due to the bidi algorithm having introduced  dependency of
> the bracket type of each character, so we have to supply this bracket type
> as a parameter.
>
> The main options are:
>
>    - Just let the API break, and put some comments in the header files
>    describing to users what needs to be done.
>    - Create new functions, e.g. fribidi_get_par_embedding_levels_ex()
>    that receives the new parameter, and let the old fribidi_get_par_embedding_levels()
>    function call the new *_ex() function with a null ptr for the bracket type.
>    - Rename this library fribidi10 (10 as in the Unicode version) and let
>    it be a different projects from the previous fribidi. This way nothing is
>    broken in the old api, and whoever wants to use the updated bidi algo is
>    free to use this ne library.
>
> Or do you have any other idea?
>
> I would also very much appreciate to get feedback and bug reports about
> this new branch.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Dov

behdad