[FriBidi] Unicode 10 support and maintenance takeover

Behnam Esfahbod behnam at zwnj.org
Tue Nov 7 01:02:47 UTC 2017

Hi there,

> After long discussions with Behdad behind the scenes, he has asked me to
>> take over the maintainer task of fribidi, which I have agreed to do. Let me
>> first of all thank Behdad for bringing fribidi to what it is today! I
>> started the fribidi project back in 1999 as a proof of concept and hoping
>> it would help in proliferating BiDi support in free software. Soon Behdad
>> took over the maintenance and with his perseverance over the years as a
>> maintainer have helped fulfilling this goal way beyond what I had hoped
>> for. Thanks again!

Glad to hear you're back and going to lead this work, Dov!

Re API, I highly recommend that you DON'T break the API, and DON'T rename
> the library.  Ie. your second option.

Same here. Would be great to keep it backwards-compatible to ease the
transition, specially for the bindings.

We can possibly gather Behnam's Python binding in that org as well.

These are two of the binding that I can move to the new org:

* https://github.com/behnam/python-fribidi
* https://github.com/behnam/pecl-fribidi (mirror from php.net)

I'm writing a perf measuring and conformance testing tool for various bidi
implementations (FriBidi, ICU, Rust/UNIC) which can also move to this repo
when public.

Also, another matter that we can finally address now is the project
website. Right now there are many old docs and readme pages out there,
linking to non-GitHub places as homepage and for bug tracking. If the plan
is to move everything to GH, would be great to set up fribidi.github.io as
the homepage, and redirect other pages, specially the fribidi.org domain to
the GH page. I'll be happy to do help with parts that need access to the
servers.

Cheers,
-Behnam

--