[FriBidi] fribidi and meson

Dov Grobgeld dov.grobgeld at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 17:06:43 UTC 2018

Hi John,

I decided to have a look at the meson build, to learn about it, and also to
make sure that things are working smoothly under Windows.

Here is roughly what I did to make the compilation working:

   1. Installed
   https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.6.4/python-3.6.4-amd64.exe
   2. Installed meson through pip
   python -m pip install meson
   3. Installed ninja.exe for windows and put in the path.
   4. Did a fresh git checkout of the main branch of fribidi.
   5. Opened a visual studio command prompt
   6. compiled fribidi through the following two commands:

   meson -buildtype release build_release
   ninja -C build_release

   7. Tested the visual studio backend through:
   meson -backend vs2010 -buiildtype release
   8. Opened visual studio, loaded the project, and tested a compilation.

This worked, so I tried running the tests as well through:

ninja -C build_release test

This ran all the fribidi.exe based tests (except one, which I fixed in
git), but it did not run the BidiTest and BidiCharacterTest tests, that
depend on glib, which is not available by default on Windows.

So I rewrote these two c-programs to remove all glib dependencies, and then
the tests then run under Windows as well.

But... And here is the strange part: BidiTest passed under debug but failed
on the release build! I don't know if this is a bug in the Microsoft VS2013
compiler, or something unitialized variable or something else. (An
interesting detail is that all the tests that failed involved FSI.) I
opened the following bug about it:
https://github.com/fribidi/fribidi/issues/71 . It would be interesting to
know if this happens only under VS2013 and not under later versions.

Regards,

Dov