[FriBidi] fribidi and meson

John Emmas john at creativepost.co.uk
Sun Mar 11 10:21:54 UTC 2018

On 10/03/2018 20:10, Dov Grobgeld wrote:

> If you have another version of visual studio then VS2013, please run
> the test suite, to see if the error happens on other versions as well.

Thanks again, Dov.  I must admit I get some pretty strange results if I
run the test modules.  If I run the non-glib ones, 'fribidi-types.exe'
gives me a very lengthy printout (looking almost like an incrementing
count of some sort) with each number having either "LTR" or "ON" after
it.  'fribidi-benchmark.exe' gives a printout which looks sensible - but
the other tests appear to just hang, with nothing happening at all.
I've only tried Release builds so far - building for 32-bit (with
VS2005) and for 64-bit (with VS2015).  I see the same results in both cases.

> But... And here is the strange part: BidiTest passed under debug but
> failed on the release build! I don't know if this is a bug in the
> Microsoft VS2013 compiler, or something unitialized variable or
> something else.

Yes, the ones with glib dependencies are weird ('BidiTest.exe' and
'BidiCharacterTest.exe').  The 32-bit versions get built okay with
VS2005 - but strangely, the Release builds try to link to Microsoft's
Debug libraries and they then fail to run.  For the 64-bit versions
(with VS2015) the files "BidiTest.txt" and "BidiCharacterTest.txt" do
get generated - but the corresponding exe's don't get built at all... :-(

John