[Galago-devel] Libsoylent API

Christian Hammond chipx86 at gnupdate.org
Tue Jun 21 06:44:46 EEST 2005

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 11:03:04AM +0200, Ikke wrote:
> Agree 100%
> Not using get/set methods (if we allow -set ;)) would result in a
> completely unusable mess, not able to write bindings for other
> languages,...
> If we'd go for GObjects (would we? IMHO its a great system) we're almost
> forced to use -get/-set, and creating bindings to Python, Mono and maybe
> other platforms/languages I'm not familiar with should be very easy.

We are using GObject. There's some very basic stub code in SVN. I'll
code some more on it when I actually get the time to do so :)

And yeah, set/gets are always the right way to do things for a public
API. Data abstraction is good, and in this case, necessary.

The model I've got here involves a public SoylentPerson we work
directly with, a SoylentPersonBackend interface, and future
implementations of that for e-d-s and kaddressbook. One public API,
two backends. There's no need for a daemon or modules or anything in
this case, really. The code should be kept fairly simple, I think.

I have diagrams.. I need to put them up sometime.

Christian

--
Christian Hammond         <>  The Galago Project
chipx86 at gnupdate.org      <>  http://www.galago.info/