[Galago-devel] Libsoylent API

Kalle Vahlman kalle.vahlman at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 14:02:22 EEST 2005

On 6/20/05, Ikke <eikke at eikke.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 12:55 +0300, Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> > On 6/20/05, Ikke <eikke at eikke.com> wrote:
> > > If we'd go for GObjects (would we? IMHO its a great system) we're almost
> > > forced to use -get/-set, and creating bindings to Python, Mono and maybe
> > > other platforms/languages I'm not familiar with should be very easy.
> >
> > For the above reasons, I'd raise my hand if voted on GObjects.
> >
> > Plus with the dbus-glib bindings you could export the objects ~unchanged ;)
> Using DBUS implies we'd be using a daemon (or at least a service that can be activated).

For the record, I didn't want to imply anything, just make a note of
added value... :)

> The question is: do we want a daemon? This has been discussed on IRC
> several time already, and IIRC there was some sort of agreement the
> answer on this question is "no".

That doesn't rule out the possibility of a dbus-activated update of
user information (ie. dbus activates a service which just grabs the
pending messages, writes stuff to <wherever> and exits), but I feel
dirty just thinking about such kludge.

Anyways, the implementation should make it easy to do whatever is
deemed the most used case. For example, the dbus-bridge can be made
afterwards regardless of the API scheme used, (if need be) so it
should only be considered as a possible bonus.

NOTE: rest is OT for this list, reply privately for these

> Anyway, regardless of this, I should look into the new dbus-glib stuff
> ross and others did. If only Gentoo would switch to Dbus 3.x :(

Don't hold your breath, the .2x <> .3x API change was pretty huge (so
*every* app has to be ported). That said, the .3x should not change
too much before 1.0 so there's really no point to look at .2x for new
projects anymore (except the fact that every distro has .2x, which is
both great and not so great).

You can set up a .3x environment pretty easily (for session bus
testing, not system). Just build with '--prefix=/foo' and configure
the program you compile with 'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/foo/lib/pkgconfig
./configure --prefix=/foo'. It should pick up the new versions and
then you can run the daemon by hand and set the
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS env var and it should work.

I have a script that runs the session bus and fires up some xterms
with proper environment if anyone's interested.

Kalle Vahlman, zuh at iki.fi