Idea: Open Gaming Portal / Lobby-System

Sven Pfaller kalterregen at gmx.net
Sat Apr 4 05:45:17 PDT 2009

Callum Lerwick wrote:
>[...]
>> The last few days I was looking for an open game lobby system. I guess
>> most of you will know Steam, Gamespy, Windows-Live and others. It seems
>> as there is no real open alternative to those systems. Some place where
>> I can see running gameservers of serveral games, chat with my friends,
>> see what they are playing etc.
>
> Yes, we need this. We already have the content delivery part down, but
> we lack the community.

What exactly do you mean by having the content delivery part down? The
package managers of the different Linux distributions? Yes this works
pretty good, and I guess Linux is here a step or two ahead of other
platforms :) . And yes, a "gaming community" would be awesome.

>[...]
> What we should probably do is lay out some use cases we want to see.
> Like from Steam:
>
> Friend starts playing Team Fortress 2. I get a popup alerting me that
> "<name> is playing TF2"
> I open my friends list, right click on their name, and click "Join".
> TF2 automatically starts and connects me to the same game server
> they're on.

Use cases are always a good idea. We should get them all in a wiki some
time soon. I like the flavor of this one because it shows something
important: Desktop integration.

Best regards
- Sven