Idea: Open Gaming Portal / Lobby-System

Sven Pfaller kalterregen at gmx.net
Sat Apr 4 05:52:14 PDT 2009

JK Wood wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 8:18 PM, Callum Lerwick <seg at haxxed.com
> <mailto:seg at haxxed.com>> wrote:
>> IMHO this should be handled as part of the Gnome Online Desktop effort:
>>
>> http://live.gnome.org/OnlineDesktop
>
> I should think this should be something desktop-agnostic.  Otherwise,
> you risk running off KDE folks, as well as those who use "alternative"
> window managers, and also Mac/Windows (assuming that we want to target
> those groups.)

I second that. I personally use Gnome, but OGP should not be bound to
it. Ideally there would be different OGP game browsers for different
platforms (e.g. Win, MacOS, GTK, QT).

> I mean, most of the free/open-source games I can think
> of have at least a Windows client available, and like it or not, that's
> where a large part of your "market share" is going to come from.

Right, we don't want to leave anyone behind. IMHO, the project should be
cross-platform, at least on the client side.

> --JK

Best regards
- Sven