Packaging games from Parallel Realities in GNU/Linux distributions

Stephen Sweeney stephen.j.sweeney at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 12 10:16:45 PDT 2009

I don't recall where the sound effects came from. I used a website called
findsounds.com and one called grsites.com which might get stuff from all
over the place.

All the music came from modarchive.com

Textures I didn't make,

arctic
common
desert
grasslands
liquid
mech
radiant
ruins
tools
tunnels
virtual

And, within textures/game, the following files

c4.png
day.jpg
day2.jpg
dusk2.jpg
glassImpact01.png
iceBlock.png
keyCard.png (might be from Gimp, though)
map.png
sentryGun1.jpg
spiderBlob.png
sunset.png
teekaWeapon.png

Steve

2009/9/12 Guus Sliepen <guus at debian.org>

> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 10:16:23AM +0100, Stephen Sweeney wrote:
>
> > Blob And Conquer - Music, sound effects and likely some of the textures
>
> Sorry to bother you again, but can you perhaps narrow down which textures
> might
> be non-free (perhaps just per subdirectory of textures/) and where you
> might
> have gotten them from?
>
> Some of them look like textures from the Quake series to me. Perhaps they
> came
> with GtkRadiant?
>
> > When I was originally approached about packaging the games for Linux
> > distributions, I pointed out that many of the resources were non-Free,
> but I
> > was told that this didn't matter, since the resources could just be
> packaged
> > separately. I guess that wasn't really how it worked out.
>
> To clarify a bit more, we could package them separately, but only if we
> knew
> what license covered them. Since we don't know the license of all the
> sounds and
> music, we cannot tell if we are allowed to distribute them at all.
>
> (For you it might not be a problem, you got them from sites which claimed
> that
> they were free to download, and you redistribute them in good faith that
> you
> are allowed to do so. But Debian is a bit more strict, and needs to see
> some
> (electronic) paperwork.)
>
> --
> Met vriendelijke groet / with kind regards,
>      Guus Sliepen <guus at debian.org>

--
The Honour of the Knights
http://www.battleforthesolarsystem.com