manual position backend (new design)

Jussi Kukkonen jhkukkon at cc.hut.fi
Mon Aug 13 02:11:23 PDT 2007

Most cheerful monday everyone,

I've been playing with a couple of designs for a manual position
backend, and now have a version that I'm fairly satisfied with.

First, the things I didn't like about the current manual position:
- Every time position data is asked for, the UI pops up. This is
  bad since we can't know how often the client might ask for it...
- The only way to input data is by using the provided UI
  This may not suit some uses cases and makes the backend depend
  on a graphical toolkit. I think that dependency is not necessary
  as text input works well in most situations

My design:
- backend is extremely simple as it has no UI
- It reads civic location data from gconf, uses a geocoding
  backend to get lat/lon
- civic location data in gconf can be updated by anyone. In maemo I've
  included that in my statusbar applet.
- civic location data in gconf has a "valid-until" timestamp with it

In practice it looks like this:
Geoclue statusbar applet menu
   http://koti.welho.com/jkukkone/geoclue/status-menu.png
Dialog for manual input. A rough draft, but you'll get the point. Notice
the "staying here for X hours"-entry for the valid-until timestamp.
   http://koti.welho.com/jkukkone/geoclue/manual-dialog.png

Any comments? Upload to freedesktop.org repository or Maemo Garage? My
version doesn't have to replace the current manual one of course, but it
could: Implementing a map widget instead of my dialog would be fairly
easy (currently the backend doesn't accept lat/lon input, which is what
a map widget would return, but that's easily fixed).

-jussi