manual position backend (new design)

Andrew Turner ajturner at highearthorbit.com
Mon Aug 13 05:34:06 PDT 2007

On 8/13/07, Jussi Kukkonen <jhkukkon at cc.hut.fi> wrote:

> Most cheerful monday everyone,

hrm, left to be seen - only on first cup of coffee.

> My design:
> - backend is extremely simple as it has no UI
> - It reads civic location data from gconf, uses a geocoding
>   backend to get lat/lon
> - civic location data in gconf can be updated by anyone. In maemo I've
>   included that in my statusbar applet.
> - civic location data in gconf has a "valid-until" timestamp with it

Sounds nice. Agreed that a GUI shouldn't be necessary and using gconf
means any application can write it. I can imagine the calendar writing
it out during the day (and it also has my valid-until).

Valid-until should probably be optional

> In practice it looks like this:
> Geoclue statusbar applet menu
>    http://koti.welho.com/jkukkone/geoclue/status-menu.png
> Dialog for manual input. A rough draft, but you'll get the point. Notice
> the "staying here for X hours"-entry for the valid-until timestamp.
>    http://koti.welho.com/jkukkone/geoclue/manual-dialog.png

So there is the manual position backend, that just reads position. And
then a separate app (a front-end) is the dialog you wrote?

In the US we'll also need State - for example "Springfield, US" has
some 34 possibilities.

> Any comments? Upload to freedesktop.org repository or Maemo Garage? My
> version doesn't have to replace the current manual one of course, but it
> could: Implementing a map widget instead of my dialog would be fairly
> easy (currently the backend doesn't accept lat/lon input, which is what
> a map widget would return, but that's easily fixed).

I think this should be the standard manual backend and example manual front-end.

> -jussi

Andrew Turner
ajturner at highearthorbit.com      42.2774N x 83.7611W
http://highearthorbit.com              Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA