Wifi positioning backends

Henri Bergius henri.bergius at iki.fi
Tue Jul 24 00:31:28 PDT 2007

Hi!

We had some discussion with ajturner about using Loki's WiFi
positioning service as a geoclue backend.

Today I got a related message on ITT:

"Hi,

Have you seen http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=62456]this
thread - it's a brief discussion on Navizon, which can provide a rough
location from the cellular information available from a mobile phone -
I wonder if this could be another candidate for a Geoclue backend -
unfortunately I don't have any direct contact details for Jussi to
suggest it to him directly...

What do you think? If you think it's a good idea (and I personally
do), could you pass this onto Jussi...?"

I guess the problem is that most of these positioning services are
proprietary so we can't do this ourselves, but we could at least
contact them and ask if they'd be interested in implementing the
needed D-BUS methods for working with geoclue.

--
Henri Bergius
Motorcycle Adventures and Free Software

Skype: henribergius