Wifi positioning backends

Stephen Wing stephen at wintoncourt.co.uk
Tue Jul 24 02:27:45 PDT 2007

As I added to the ITT thread, Navizon (the service in question) uses the
cell ID information from the mobile phone (GSM) network that the mobile
phone needs to work correctly.  Navizon are taking this information and
using a database lookup to work out a rough location...

To be fair, Navizon can also use Wifi network information too, but I
think it's power is in the mobile cell location information.

I added:

"Navizon isn't so much about true WiFi, but using the cell ID provided
by the cellular networks for a mobile phone to provide rough location.

However, thinking this through, I'm not sure whether mobile phones can
provide the cell ID information via a Bluetooth connection, so it may
still require the Navizon client on the phone to calculate the
information, and then the Geoclue Navizon backend would simply need to
access the client on the phone somehow to get the position, and then
provide it forward.

It might be worth asking Navizon whether there is any way to access the
client directly - I know there is a way to access it - you can publish
your location via an XML feed for use on the web - maybe a Geoclue
backend could be written to access this over the internet to provide the
information...

Certainly most people who carry a 770 / N800 will also have a mobile
phone with them, so somehow being able to utilise the mobile phone
network as a location information provider makes some sense to me."

Stephen