BOF at GCDS

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Wed Jul 8 08:08:24 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-07-07 at 12:45 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-07-05 at 13:10 +0100, Pierre-Luc Beaudoin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Who would be interested in a meeting of geoclue interested persons
> > during GCDS?
> >
> > What about Tuesday July 7, at 15:45.  We could meet in the stairs in
> > front of the door to the Auditorio.
> >
> > Tentative subject list:
> >       * New API ideas (such as an a{sv} address + position)
> >       * How to improve maintainer responsiveness
> >       * Drop dependency on gconf
> >       * Implement new providers
>
> I'll be there!

Notes about the TODO list. Each of the tasks should be fairly small, and
something that Jussi could comment on. If he's happy with it, then the
people making the changes could get commit access.

Let us know!

- Hide backend provider API (so that only the Master Provider is
instatiable by the applications)
- Try to keep the current internal API (to make it somewhat stable, and
make it easier to write new backends)
- Combine the position & address APIs (you want both most of the time
and it avoids disconnects between the providers)
- We'd need to export more fine-grained information (especially for the
address providers) using a hashtable (a{sv} properties such as "location
name" and other XEP80 defined data.
- Rework (utterly broken) backend provider selection
- Remove configuration options from applications and move UI to
geoclue-properties (Python? Good enough for our desktop?)
- Move config loading (GConf-based) to GObject bindings, and add D-Bus
API to load the configuration (so Qt can do KDE specific stuff)
- Make NM network status provider return "I'm on" when NM isn't running

Comments?