BOF at GCDS

Pierre-Luc Beaudoin pierre-luc at pierlux.com
Tue Jul 14 13:12:41 PDT 2009

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, I am on vacation ;-)

On Wed, 2009-07-08 at 16:08 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> - Hide backend provider API (so that only the Master Provider is
> instatiable by the applications)
> - Try to keep the current internal API (to make it somewhat stable,
> and make it easier to write new backends)
> - Combine the position & address APIs (you want both most of the time
> and it avoids disconnects between the providers)
I proposed this to avoid the current situations where you get an address
from a provider, and a position from another.  This makes the position
and the address inconsistent.  By having a combined API, the
master-client could make sure it is consistent.

> - We'd need to export more fine-grained information (especially for
> the address providers) using a hashtable (a{sv} properties such as
> "location name" and other XEP80 defined data.
This is also a personal request :) In Empathy, we could send a lot of
information: such a place's name, description, url, floor, local #...
Such informations can already be provided by some services such as
Plazes. Localnet could be upgraded to provide it too.

For example, we could have had a special provider for GCDS, where based
on the IP address assigned, you could find out the room you were in.

> - Rework (utterly broken) backend provider selection
Yes please and incluse more debugging ouput

> - Remove configuration options from applications and move UI to
> geoclue-properties (Python? Good enough for our desktop?)
Well, the conf should be saved on what ever the desktop's use (ie gconf
for gnome) geoclue-properties would only be one of the many ways to set
it

For the rest of the comments everything is fine by me!

Pierre-Luc