GSM cell mapping - openBmap

Onen onen.om at free.fr
Sun Jul 12 05:00:57 PDT 2009

Hi,

I would like to introduce you the (mostly) GSM cell mapping project,
www.openbmap.org . I think this could be a data source for geoclue.

We do map the GSM cell coverage, and are currently talking about WiFi
and Bluetooth mapping for the future. The main difference between us and
other similar projects, is that we care about quality of data, and not
only quantity. For example, the GPS position we log, saves GPS HPV-DOPs,
which are kind of the position quality, and speed. If you have a measure
at 5km/h or 150 km/h, obviously the first one is more accurate.

We also log the software source (id and version) in order to be able to
filter data afterwards, if a bug is discovered.

Etc.

We are open to log anything people find useful, in order to allow people
trying new location algorithms, research security stuff, etc. The idea
is to build a database that could be used as data for the community of
hobbyists, researchers, scientists, etc...

The main logging application runs on top of freesmartphone.org
framework, on the openmoko Freerunner. We also have a windows mobile client.

Web API is available, to get your position out of your GSM cell info.
But the idea is to allow having a local database on your phone, in order
to protect your privacy (no need to ask a third party), to allow
positioning without data connection, etc. We are currently talking with
people from freesmartphone.org in order to see how we could build a
location service in the framework.

Raw data (the XML files contributors upload) are available for download
(creative commons). We also propose a bunch of sql files containing the
position and radius of cells from our database. This has been used to
build a proof of concept of a Dbus service using a sqlite file on the phone.

I hope I have raised your interest. Please let me know if you want some
more infos, or if you are not interested.

Onen