Failed to acquire name 'org.freedesktop.GeoClue2'

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) zeeshanak at gnome.org
Wed Nov 5 15:14:49 PST 2014

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 10:17 PM, Garvan Keeley <gkeeley at mozilla.com> wrote:

>>> Running the service first with sudo ./geoclue, I can see more output
>>>
>>>        • $ ./demo/where-am-i
>>>        • (geoclue:21664): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
>>>        • (geoclue:21664): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
>>>        • Client object: /org/freedesktop/GeoClue2/Client/7
>>>        • (geoclue:21664): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
>>>        • (geoclue:21664): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_handlers_disconnect_matched: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
>>
>> Assuming this is the output from geoclue rather than where-am-i (its
>> not obvious from the paste above), these types of errors usually
>> happen when your environment is somehow screwed (e.g built against a
>> different glib than linking against at runtime) but it could also just
>> be that you didn't do a clean build with different paths? Try `git
>> clean -dfx` and rebuild/install starting from `./autogen.sh
>> --sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=/usr`. Hope this helps.
>>
>> Oh and geoclue will output more if you define the environment variable
>> G_MESSAGES_DEBUG=Geoclue.
>
> Thanks for the tips. Tried these steps (fresh pull, rebuild with sysconf/prefix, export G_MESSAGES_DEBUG) and getting the same result (no change in output from above). I have multiple linux distros to try (as I am working in VirtualBox), tried another distro, same result as this. So, both Ubuntu 14 LTS and Centos7+Gnome Desktop, same results.
> Any more ideas?

Next thing that comes to mind is the fact that I don't recall testing
Geoclue in a VM. Maybe we hit some conditions in the virtual
environment that we don't on real machines. Worse yet, it could be
specific to VirtualBox. I'll give it a go in Boxes tomorrow but if I
can't reproduce it, I'll be heavily relying on you to get to the
bottom of this. In the meantime, could you please find the backtraces
for these warnings (especially the first one)? You want to define
G_DEBUG=fatal-warnings,fatal-criticals to make glib crash on these so
if you run in gdb, you can easily get a backtrace when you hit these.
See "Running GLib Applications" section in glib reference manual for
more details on this.

Also see if you hit the same with geoclue shipped on Fedora 21 beta.

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)